Colorado 2002 Expedition
Rental Car Plan
Rental cars will provide most of our transportation in Colorado. Here are the information concerning rental cars:
- Each driver/family is responsible for making their own rental car reservations. When reserving, keep in mind that we are carrying lots of bulky equipment -- a compact car probably won't be big enough.
- Rental car companies are very strict about who is allowed to drive their cars. Be sure you know the rules that apply to your car.
- The trip is, first and foremost, a Scout outing and therefore we will follow BSA's rules concerning automobile transportation. Most of these are common sense, and following these rules will help insure that we have a safe week. The BSA rules applicable to our trip are:
- Seat belts are required for all occupants.
- All drivers must have a valid drivers license.
- An adult leader must be in charge and accompany the group. (This applies to the week as a whole and to our organized day trips and overnight trips.)
- The driver must be at least 18 years of age. (Rental car companies usually increase the age requirement to 21 or 26 so there should not be any instances of Scouts driving cars during this expedition.)
- No one should ride on station wagon tailgates, or in the bed of a pickup truck. Everyone should have a seat and be buckled into that seat.
- All vehicles must be covered by automobile liability insurance with limits that meet or exceed requirements of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. The mandatory liability minimum in Colorado is $25,000 bodily injury, $50,000 per accident, and $15,000 property damage. BSA recommends $50,000/$100,000/$50,000. Drivers are responsible for making sure their vehicles and occupants are insured either by their own insurance company or through the rental car company.
- Obey all posted speed limits.
- Do not travel in convoy. (Know where you're going and use a Scout as a navigator.)
- Driving time is limited to a maximum of 10 hours per day (shouldn't be a problem on this trip.)
- Scouts who are not accompanied by a parent will be under the supervision of the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster at all times; including during automobile transportation. Parents of unaccompanied Scouts will be asked to share the cost of the rental car(s) in which the Scouts ride. The estimated cost for each Scout is approximately $125.00 for the week.
- Families who are interested in sharing the cost of a rental car by car pooling with another family are encouraged to do so. Consult the rental car roster for car pooling possibilities.